Make this easy and simple Virgin Pina Colada recipe for all of your summer parties this year! All you need is 3 ingredients, a blender, and 5 minutes of your time to make a jug of Piña Colada that everyone will love.
Did you know that Piña Colada is Puerto Rico’s national drink? The combination of pineapple and coconut is just genius!
I love tropical flavors, especially in cocktails and desserts. And this combination makes me feel like I’m laying on a tropical beach sipping on a cocktail (or a milkshake!).
There are many different recipes for Piña Colada, but this one is the simplest as you only need 3 ingredients. The ingredients required for this recipe are very simple which you can find at any grocery store. So here’s my non-alcoholic Pina Colada recipe!
Virgin Pina Colada Recipe Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Pineapple: Frozen pineapple works best here! Its flavor is as good as fresh pineapple, but when it’s frozen it will give you that slushy frosty texture that you love in Piña Colada. If you’re not after the blended frozen slushy texture and prefer the shaken with ice version then you can substitute the pineapple chunks with pineapple juice.
- Cream of coconut: Use cream of coconut such as Coco Lopez as it gives the best flavor for Piña Colada. If you can’t find it, just use coconut milk (full-fat) and sweeten it with simple syrup (see below).
- Lime juice: It lightens up the mocktail, and adds a little acidity and so much flavor!
- Simple syrup (optional): If you’re not using cream of coconut (Coco Lopez), add 2 ounces of simple syrup which is equal parts of sugar and water (heated together for the sugar to dissolve, then chilled).
- Ice cubes: For blended frozen drinks!
- Optional garnishes: Piña Coladas are usually garnished with maraschino cherries, or pineapple wedges, or both. I also like to add a little whipped cream when I have it.
How to Make The Best Piña Colada Mix
If you have a power blender, it works best here to give you the best texture! I love my Vitamix blender, and use it for smoothies and cocktails all the time.
To the blender, add all of your ingredients and ice cubes if using.
Blend on high speed for 30-60 seconds or until the consistency is thick and creamy. If it’s too thick, add a splash of water and blend again. If it’s not thick enough, add more ice cubes and blend again.
Can I make Piña Colada Ahead of Time?
Yes! I make mine just as instructed above, then place in an airtight container and freeze it. 30 minutes before serving, just remove it from the freezer, let it thaw a little then blend until smooth.
How Can I make my Virgin Piña Colada Sweeter?
If needed, just add simple syrup. To make a simple syrup, in a saucepan combine equal parts of granulated sugar and water and heat until the sugar has dissolved.
Remove from the heat, and let it cool down (if in a hurry, place in a small jug and chill in the fridge).
Simple Syrup is very popular in cocktail making, so I always have a jar with simple syrup on hand (for those emergency cocktails when needed 😉).
Top Tips for Pina Colada Recipe
- You can easily double or triple or quadruple the amounts of ingredients to make a large batch of Piña Colada for a party!
- Prep the garnishes in advance, for easy assembly at your party.
More Summer Drinks
If you try this recipe, please don’t forget to rate it and share a picture on social media, tagging #NourishPlate in your posts. I would really love to see your creations. Bon appetit!
Piña Colada Recipe
- 3 cups frozen pineapple chunks
- 1 cup cream of coconut such as Coco Lopez
- 2 ounces lime juice
- 2 cups ice cubes
- Maraschino cherries and pineapple wedges for garnish, optional
- whipped cream for garnish, optional
- To the blender, add all of your ingredients and ice cubes if using.
- Blend on high speed for 30-60 seconds or until the consistency is thick and creamy. If it’s too thick, add a splash of water and blend again. If it’s not thick enough, add more ice cubes and blend again.
- If you can’t find cream of coconut (Coco Lopez), substitute with coconut milk (full fat) and sweeten your drink with simple syrup.
- To make the simple syrup: In a saucepan combine equal parts of granulated sugar and water and heat until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat, and let it cool down (if in a hurry, place in a small jug and chill in the fridge).
- The recipe above makes 2 large servings or 4 small ones.