These crispy and flavorful Air Fryer French Fries are easy and quick to make! They are low in calories and are made using little oil. This is the perfect way to make fries at home and it’s guaranteed that everyone will love them!
These fries are a healthier version compared to the traditional deep-fried or oven-baked fries, as air frying uses much less oil. So no more adding calories that end up adding inches to your waistline. Moreover, when you air fry french fries, you are saving time as you won’t need to preheat the oven, etc.
This is the Air Fryer that I use and love!
Air Fryer French Fries Ingredients
To make French fries I usually use high starch potatoes such as Yukon gold or russet potatoes (also called Idaho potatoes). They are good for this recipe because they are denser and have the least amount of moisture in them. Moreover, Finnish yellow potatoes and other all-purpose potatoes can be used too. Also, you can use frozen fries in the Air Fryer. More on that in the post below.
Try to avoid low-starch waxy potatoes such as new potatoes and round red or white potatoes.
How to Air Fry French Fries?
- Wash and peel the potatoes, and cut them lengthwise into thin fries.
- In a mixing bowl, toss the potatoes with oil. Season with your favorite seasonings and mix to coat potatoes.
- Add to the Air Fryer basket in an even layer, and cook for 15 minutes flipping at least twice while cooking. Serve hot and enjoy!
Is Using an Air Fryer Healthy?
Yes, it is much healthier to air fry French fries than deep-frying them because you use less oil. The air fryer uses hot air to cook food, therefore, you need to use less oil in the cooking process. This results in healthier foods and fewer calories. However, they taste as good as the deep
More Seasoning Ideas
You can use any seasonings and topping that you like. Below are my favorites:
- Sea salt
- Crushed chili flakes
- Garlic granules, or onion granules
- Cajun seasoning
- Italian herb blend
- Sesame oil, sesame seeds, and chili flakes
Can I Use Frozen Fries to Cook in the Air Fryer?
You can cook frozen french fries in the air fryer and it’s very easy. All what you need to do is to open the bag, season the frozen fries with your favorite seasonings and put in the air fryer basket. However, you need to increase the cooking time to allow the frozen fries to defrost while cooking (20 to 25 minutes).
Moreover, when you spray oil on frozen fries, do it quickly as it can freeze and clumb up.
Is This Recipe Vegan?
This recipe is 100% vegan unless you are using any dairy toppings. And in that case, you can easily replace the dairy toppings like parmesan cheese by non-dairy vegan cheese or nutritional yeast to get a vegan snack or side dish.
Is It Gluten-Free?
All ingredients used in this recipe are gluten-free. Therefore, you can safely indulge in and enjoy it until the last french-fried potatoes.
- Fridge: Once cooled down to room temperature, you can store fried french fries in the fridge in a shallow airtight container for up to 3 days. To reheat, put in the air fryer and air fry for 5-7 minutes or until warmed up.
- Freezer: You can freeze cooked french fries in airtight containers or airtight freezer-safe Ziploc bags. They can last for up to 10 months. To reheat, thaw frozen french fries in the fridge overnight before reheating. Then, put in the air fryer and air fry for 5-7 minutes or until warmed up.
- You can serve French fries as a snack with traditional sauces or dips, such as ketchup, barbecue sauce, mayonnaise, four-cheese sauce, tomato sauce, garlic aioli, blue cheese dressing, tartar sauce or mustard.
- Or you can top it with gravy, grilled cheese, baked beans or baked camembert.
- It also goes well as a side dish for stews, such as mushroom stew or with this Instant Pot Lemon
If you try this recipe, please don’t forget to rate it and share a picture on social media, tagging #NourishPlate in your posts. I would really love to see your creations. Bon appetit!
Air Fryer French Fries
- Air Fryer
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound (450 grams) potatoes yukon gold or russet, washed and peeled
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Cut the potatoes lengthwise into thin fries.
- In a mixing bowl, toss the potatoes with olive oil. Season with salt, garlic powder, black pepper and paprika. Mix all ingredients to coat.
- Add to the Air Fryer basket in an even layer, and cook at 390°F (200°C) for 15 minutes flipping at least twice while cooking. Serve hot and enjoy!
- You don’t need to preheat the air fryer.
- Make sure that you flip (shake) the air fryer basket at least twice when cooking.
- Add any other seasonings that you like. And adjust the amount of salt to your preference.
- The size of the fries will shrink as it cooks, so if you think that the air fryer basket is crowded at first then that’s totally fine.
- If you use frozen fries, increase the cooking time to allow them to defrost while cooking (20 to 25 minutes).