These Air Fryer chicken wings are extra crispy and delicious from the outside, juicy and flavorful on the inside. Cooking chicken wings in the Air Fryer is so easy and quick which makes it a perfect dish/snack for every gathering! Plus, it’s gluten-free.
Serve it as an appetizer on game day, or any day! Everyone will love it!
Cook the chicken wings in your Air Fryer and serve them immediately or toss them in your favorite wing sauce! They are crispy, juicy, and delicious.
This is the Air Fryer that I love and use every day as it makes my life much easier by cutting the cooking time by more than half. Other than using it to make the best ever French fries, I use it for chicken wings (much better than frying or oven method!). It’s also great for making simple sides like Air Fryer Broccoli, or for making crispy baked potatoes.
Avoid making a mess in the kitchen by deep-frying chicken wings, seriously, just make them in the Air Fryer. It’s such a straightforward recipe as there’s no need to marinate the wings, and you don’t need to coat them in baking powder/soda or corn starch to crisp up.
This recipe is versatile and forms an excellent base for any kind of wings. It can be served as is or used to make buffalo, BBQ, or parmesan chicken wings.
How to Cut and Separate Chicken Wings?
If the wings that you have are already broken down into wingettes and drumettes, then you are good to go and can move on to the following section. If not, then here’s how you separate them:
First, pat dry the chicken wings completely using paper towels. Then with your fingers, locate where the joint is connected between wingettes and drumettes. And using a sharp knife or kitchen scissors, cut through the joint. And finally, cut off the chicken wing tips as there isn’t a lot of meat on them.
You will use the drumettes and wingettes, and discard the wingtips (or use them to make homemade chicken stock if you like).
How to Air Fry Chicken Wings?
- Preheat their Air Fryer at 395°F (200°C).
- Start by pat drying the chicken wings completely. This will result in super crispy wings. Toss with little olive oil and season them. Then place them on the Air Fryer basket (make sure that you don’t overcrowd it) and insert the basket in the Air fryer.
- Cook for 16 minutes at 395°F (200°C) shaking the basket/flipping the wings at least twice so that they cook evenly.
- The cooking time depends on the size of the wings that you are using. So start with 16 minutes. And if the 1lb contains less than 10 wings, you’ll probably need to add a couple of minutes more to render the fat and cook the wings all the way through till they are crispy golden brown. Serve hot and enjoy!
You can use different seasonings to season the chicken wings, below are a few ideas:
- Poultry seasoning
- Smoked paprika, with stone house seasoning (which is amazing!)
- Cajun seasoning
- Italian seasoning, and grated parmesan cheese.
- Fajita seasoning, or taco seasoning.
- Shawarma seasoning for a Middle Eastern inspired flavor!
How to Double the Recipe?
If you have a double rack, then that works great. Just increase the time to 18-22 minutes or until the wings turn out sizzling and crispy, flipping them half way. If not, then work in batches for optimal crispiness.
If you overcrowd the Air Fryer basket, the air won’t circulate well in the basket and the wings won’t crisp up but will have a “steaming” effect.
How to Check If the Wings Are Cooked Through and Safe to Eat?
Every time you cook chicken, you have to make sure that the internal temperature of the chicken should be around 165°F/75°C. That’s the best way to make sure that the chicken is safe to eat.
Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Wings
You will just need to increase the cooking time by 5 minutes if cooking from frozen. If the wings are stuck together since they’re frozen, that’s totally fine and they will separate as they cook. Don’t forget to shake the basket at least twice so that they cook evenly.
How to Reheat Chicken Wings in the Air Fryer?
Put the chicken wings back in the air fryer basket, and reheat at 395°F/200°C for 5 minutes or until they’re heated through.
What to Serve Them With?
- Fresh baby carrots, and celery sticks.
- Coleslaw, fries, fried mozzarella sticks, and onion rings.
- Ranch, BBQ, or Buffalo sauce.
- Thai sweet chilli or blue cheese dipping sauce.
If you try this recipe, please don’t forget to rate it and share a picture on social media, tagging #NourishPlate in your posts. I would really love to see your creations. Bon appetit!
Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- 1 lb (450 grams) chicken wings separated into flats and drumettes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Start by pat drying the chicken wings completely with paper towel to get super crispy wings. Then toss with little olive oil.
- Season the chicken wings with garlic powder, salt, and pepper and put them in the Air Fryer basket spacing them evenly to get crispy wings.
- Insert the Air Fryer basket and cook for 16 minutes at 395°F (200°C) shaking the basket at least twice so that the wings cook evenly.
- The cooking time depends on the size of the wings. So start with 16 minutes. And if the 1lb contains less than 10 wings, you'll probably need to add a couple of minutes more to render the fat and cook the wings all the way through till they are crispy golden brown. Serve hot and enjoy!
- Make sure not to overcrowd the Air Fryer basket with chicken wings and to space them evenly. This allows the wings to get crispy golden brown.
- To double the batch, use a double rack (if you have one). Increase the cooking time to 18-22 minutes or until the wings are crispy golden brown, flipping them halfway. Alternatively, work in batches.
- If using frozen wings, increase the cooking time by 5 minutes. If the wings are stuck together since they’re frozen, that’s totally fine and they will separate as they cook. Don’t forget to shake the basket at least twice so that they cook evenly.
- To reheat chicken wings, put them in the air fryer basket, and reheat at 395°F/200°C for 5 minutes or until they’re heated through.