Slow Cooker Chicken Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes is a combination of 2 American classics: Cheesesteaks and sloppy joes! With only 15 minutes of prep time, you will want to make this every week!
If your family and kids enjoy cheesesteaks, then they are going to love this! Tender ground chicken (or beef) is cooked in the slow cooker all day. Then, it’s topped with provolone cheese so it melts and becomes gooey. Then, it’s served in hamburger buns or subs for the best meal ever.
For more slow cooker recipes, check out this Crockpot Shredded Chicken recipe that you can use to make wraps, sandwiches, tacos, and even casseroles.
Why This Recipe Works
- With only 15 minutes of prep time, the Crockpot does all the work! Prep and dump all of the ingredients, and let the slow cooker do its magic as you get other things done.
- Kid Friendly – My kids request this dish often and my husband loves it too! And I’m sure once you make it, your family will have a new favorite.
- Versatile – When I make this for my family, I serve these in hamburger buns but to make it healthier and cut down on the calories I serve myself one or two in lettuce wraps.
Here’s what you need to make this easy slow cooker dinner recipe:
- Ground Chicken: I went for ground chicken for this recipe, but I also often use ground beef or ground turkey. So pick your favorite protein, it’s all going to be delicious.
- Onion and Bell Pepper: Just like a classic cheesesteak, you will need one small yellow onion and one green bell pepper. Dice them up small before adding to the slow cooker.
- Stock: Because I’m using ground chicken, I went for chicken stock. If I was using ground beef, I’d use beef stock/broth instead.
- Worcestershire Sauce: This is a classic seasoning ingredient in sloppy joes.
- Cornstarch: We will add cornstarch to thicken up the sloppy joe sauce.
- Cheese: Slices of provolone cheese are a must when you’re making cheesesteaks. I’m using a few slices of provolone, but you can substitute it with mozzarella slices or even shredded mozzarella, or American cheese.
How To Make Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes in the Crockpot
- Brown the Protein. In a large skillet, heat the oil and add the chicken, onion, and green pepper. Season with salt and brown the chicken and the vegetables for about 5 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink and lightly browned. Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add Cornstarch. Make a cornstarch slurry by combining cornstarch with chicken stock and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl, then pour that into the slow cooker over the chicken mixture and stir to combine. Cook on LOW covered with a lid for 4 hours or on high for 1 ½ to 2 hours.
- Add Cheese. Remove the lid, and add slices of provolone cheese on top of the sloppy joe mixture. Cover with the lid and allow to melt for about 10 minutes.
- Serve. Stir to combine, then serve in warmed up or toasted hamburger buns.
Storing: Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Freezing: If you wish to freeze the leftovers, make sure that they’re cooled completely then transfer to an airtight container or a ziptop bag. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight.
Reheating: You can reheat this in the microwave, in the slow cooker on LOW, or in a skillet until just warmed through. If the mixture is too thick, add a splash of water before reheating.
If you don’t have provolone cheese, substitute with mozzarella, American cheese or Cheez-Whiz. If using mozzarella, it doesn’t matter if it’s sliced or shredded as if will melt in the mixture anyway.
Yes! And it will cut down the prep time too. I often used frozen diced onions and frozen bell peppers in my cooking. You can also add sliced mushrooms if you like.
I hope that you and your family love this slow cooker chicken cheesesteak sloppy joes as much as we do! If you try it, let me know what you think in the comments section below.
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest!
Slow Cooker Chicken Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 small green bell pepper diced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup low sodium chicken stock
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 4 buns
- In a large skillet, heat the oil and add the chicken, onion, and green pepper. Season with salt and brown the chicken and the vegetables for about 5 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink and lightly browned.
- Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker.
- Make a cornstarch slurry by combining cornstarch with chicken stock and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl, then pour that into the slow cooker over the chicken mixture and stir to combine.
- Cook on LOW covered with a lid for 4 hours or on high for 1 ½ to 2 hours.
- Remove the lid, and add slices of provolone cheese on top of the sloppy joe mixture. Cover with the lid and allow to melt for about 10 minutes.
- Stir to combine, then serve in warmed up or toasted hamburger buns.
- Substitute ground chicken for your favorite ground protein (beef, pork, or turkey).
- You can brown the meat, onions and peppers beforehand and freeze for when you are ready to throw everything in the slow cooker.
- You can add mushrooms if you like.
- Frozen peppers and onions are a quick way to make this faster.
- You can use any cheese you like, American cheese, shredded or sliced mozzarella or even cheez-whiz.
- I love using brioche buns, hamburger buns, or onion buns but this would also be great in a sub bun.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to follow on Pinterest @nourishplate and on Instagram @nourishplate
Leave a Review!