Make these super easy Instant Pot Shrimp Fajitas for a quick dinner on a busy weeknight. It’s a dump and start recipe, and ready in just 15 minutes.
It is not a secret that I love my Instant Pot for dump and start recipes. It’s such a game-changer being able to dump all of my ingredients in the pot, start it, and come back later to find a nice warm meal waiting for me.
Whilst shrimp is cooked on a skillet in no time, I find it much easier to dump my shrimp fajita ingredients in the pot, without having to stand by the stove, and come back in 15-20 minutes to feed my hungry family.
If you’re a fan of skillet shrimp fajitas, and really care about the texture of the peppers being crunchy, then this recipe is not for you. But if you’re like me, and just want a delicious, healthy, and filling meal for your family with the minimum effort, then you will love this recipe!
How to Make Fajitas in the Instant Pot
Start by washing and slicing the bell peppers and the onion. You can either dump the veggies in the pot before pressure cooker – as shown in the image below – but they will get tender. OR, add them after pressure cooker. Cover with the lid and let them sit there for a couple of minutes to soften a little. This way they will be firmer. So it’s your choice, and depends on how you like them.
Add the shrimp to the pot, fajita seasoning, and water.
Cover with the lid, and make sure that the valve is in sealing position. Press on manual or pressure cook, and set the timer 0 minutes/low pressure. Once the cooking cycle has ended, do a quick release and serve over warm tortillas.
I always make my own homemade fajita seasoning because we make fajitas all the time. I find it cheaper to make at home. And I also noticed that many store-bought premixed seasonings contain many unnecessary harmful ingredients.
You can also adjust the heat to your preference. So make yourself a large jar of the fajita seasoning, and use it on roasted vegetables, grilled chicken, and all the fajitas that you’re going to make!
If you try this recipe, please don’t forget to rate it and share a picture on social media, tagging #NourishPlate in your posts. I would really love to see your creations. Bon appetit!
Instant Pot Shrimp Fajitas
- Instant Pot
- 2 pounds raw shrimp fresh or frozen
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper sliced
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 3 tablespoons fajita seasoning
- ¼ cup (60 ml) water
- Place all of the ingredients in the Instant Pot. Mix everything so that the shrimp and the peppers are well coated in the fajita seasoning.
- Cover with the lid, and make sure that the valve is in sealing position. Press on manual or pressure cook, and set the timer 0 minutes/low pressure. Once the cooking cycle has ended, do a quick release and serve over warm tortillas.
- The bell peppers WILL become tender, so if you prefer crunchy peppers then only add them AFTER pressure cooking. Cover with the lid, and let them steam for a couple of minutes before serving.
- You can either use fresh raw shrimp, or frozen raw shrimp. The difference between the 2 is that frozen shrimp will take longer to come to pressure so if you’ve added your bell peppers, then expect them to become really tender.
- This recipe was tested in the 6 quart Instant Pot.