Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes recipe is an easy and quick side dish that is savory, filling and full of nutrients. It is a good variation from the classical potatoes mash, and goes well with any meal!
Using Instant Pot to make mashed sweet potatoes not only saves time and nutrients but also transfers hard sweet potatoes into soft pieces that are easy to mash into a creamy puree.
To make this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- Sweet Potatoes – peeled and sliced into 1-inch pieces.
- Sour Cream
- Fresh Herbs – finely chopped
- Salt and Pepper
How to cook sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot?
The first thing that you need to do is to peel sweet potatoes, slice them and put at the bottom of your instant pot. Add some water. Set the pot on the manual setting for 8 minutes. Let the pressure come down naturally.
Once the sweet potatoes are cooked in the Instant Pot, mash the potatoes with the butter to get the creamy texture.
Finally, season it with salt and black pepper and sprinkle with fresh herbs. Serve this savory mashed sweet potatoes as a side dish with almost any dish.
How to store Mashed Sweet Po
- Mashed sweet potatoes can be cooked ahead of time, then reheated just before serving either on the stovetop or inside a microwave.
- Leftovers can be frozen in the freezer up to 6 months.
- To use frozen mashed sweet potatoes, thaw in the refrigerator, then reheat in the oven.
For other recipes cooked with sweet potatoes, check this Roasted sweet potato hummus recipe. For more Instant Por recipes, check Instant Pot Lemon Garlic Chicken recipe and Vegan Mashed Potatoes recipe. And for more delicious and nourishing recipe ideas, click here.
Instant pot mashed potatoes
- Vegetable peeler
- Chef's Knife
- Measuring cups
- 3 pounds Sweet Potatoes peeled and sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- ¼ cup Sour Cream
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Herbs finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper freshly ground
- 1 cup water
- Peel sweet potatoes, slice them and put at the bottom of your instant pot. Add the water.
- Set the Instant Pot on "Manual" or "Pressure cook" on high for 8 minutes. Allow the pressure to build up, then cook then let the pressure come down naturally.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooked, drain the water and mash them with the butter to get the creamy texture.
- Add the garlic and stir to combine. For more creaminess, add sour cream or cream cheese.
- Finally, season it with salt and black pepper and sprinkle with fresh herbs.
- To make this recipe vegan, replace the butter with coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil and skip the sour cream/cream cheese or substitute with vegan sour cream.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links