Here’s an authentic easy homemade vegan hummus recipe made from scratch with no add-ons. Quick, nutritious, and incredibly delicious!
What is hummus?
It is a very popular Middle Easter dip and spread that is made of chickpeas (garbanzo beans). It is packed with nutrients and has incredible health and nutritional benefits. And most importantly, it’s super delicious! You can serve it as a snack, appetizer or as an addition to any meal.
Is hummus vegan?
Whilst many recipes call for yogurt, the traditional version (which is my version here) is 100% vegan.
Best hummus recipe
To make this recipe, you need to blend all the ingredients in a food processor. Serve in a medium-sized bowl, drizzle with olive oil, sumac, cherry tomatoes
What is hummus made of?
This authentic vegan recipe requires blending chickpeas (garbanzo beans), garlic, tahini (ground sesame seeds), lemon juice, olive oil, ground cumin
How to make hummus?
It is very easy to make this recipe. All what you need to do is to follow these steps:
- Place 1 can of cooked chickpeas, 1 clove of garlic, 2 tablespoons of tahini, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of ground cumin, and half a teaspoon of salt in a food processor.
- Blend all ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Gradually add water to get the required smoothness. Start by adding one tablespoon of water, and repeat if necessary.
- Serve in a medium-sized bowl, drizzle with olive oil, sumac, cherry tomatoes
It has lots of nutrients and incredible health benefits. It contains a wide variety of vitamins and minerals, such as Manganese, Copper, and Folate. Moreover, it is a good source of plant-based protein.
One hundred grams has about 180 calories.
Is it gluten-free?
All ingredients used in this recipe are gluten-free. Therefore, you can safely dip vegetable sticks or gluten-free crackers in this dip for a gluten-free healthy snack.
Is hummus healthy?
It is packed with nutrients such as protein, fiber and unsaturated fats that are heart-healthy. However, try to stick to the recommended serving of 30g to 60g to keep calories under control.
How long does hummus last?
You can store it in the refrigerator in a tightly closed container for up to 5 days, or until it starts having a sour smell.
Can you freeze it?
It freezes well and defrosts overnight in the refrigerator. Therefore, you can keep it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
What to eat with hummus?
The options are endless. But here are a few ideas:
- Pita bread or flat bread
- Celery sticks, carrot sticks, cucumber slices, tomato slices.
- With falafel in a sandwich
- Within a buddha bowl
- With roasted vegetables (see picture below)
For more delicious and nourishing recipes using chickpeas, check out this Roasted Sweet Potato Hummus recipe and this Brownie Batter Hummus Recipe. If you’re looking for other mouthwatering vegan recipe ideas, check out this Vegan Mashed Potatoes recipe and this Vegan Pumpkin Soup. For more delicious recipes click here
Cook chicken tenders for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until they turn out golden brown and are cooked through. The internal temperature of the thickest part of the chicken should register at 165°F (75°C) when it’s ready.
Cook chicken at room temperature and allow it to thaw completely if it was frozen. Also, do not overcook it; about 3 – 4 minutes of grilling on each side should be enough. And make sure that the grill is at the right temperature (between 370°F/187°C and 400°F/204°C). This prevents it from drying out on the grill.
- Food processor
- 1 can chickpeas cooked, rinsed and drained
- 1 clove garlic optional
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil or water if oil-free
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- Place all of the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Gradually add water (start with 1 tsp), and add as much as needed until you get a smooth consistency but make sure not to add too much.
- Spread in bowl, and garnish with extra virgin olive oil, sumac, cherry tomatoes, herbs, etc.