Cherry Cheesecake Taquitos combine the creamy richness of cheesecake with the fruity sweetness of cherry pie, all wrapped up in a crispy tortilla. This recipe offers a unique twist on traditional desserts, perfect for those who love a combination of textures and flavors in their treats. Easy and quick to prepare, these taquitos are ideal for gatherings or as a fun family dessert, with options to cook in the oven or air fryer.
Why This Recipe Works
- Easy to Cook: You can make these taquitos in the oven or in an air fryer, which is great because it works for different kitchens. This makes the recipe really handy for lots of people.
- Quick to Make: This recipe is fast and easy. It’s perfect if you need a tasty dessert without spending a lot of time in the kitchen.
- Tasty and Different: The mix of creamy cheesecake and sweet cherry in a crispy tortilla is not something you find every day. It’s a fun and yummy change from usual desserts.
Complete list of ingredients with quantities and instructions is located in the recipe card below
- Cream Cheese (Softened): It’s the base for the creamy filling. For a lighter version, try using low-fat cream cheese.
- Powdered Sugar: This sweetens the cream cheese mixture. You can add as much powdered sugar as you like, we used half a cup but if you’re trying to cut on sugar, you can try less and see how that tastes.
- Vanilla Extract: Adds flavor to the cream cheese mixture. For a different twist, almond extract can be a great alternative.
- Flour Tortillas: They form the outer wrap of the taquitos. Whole wheat tortillas can be used for a healthier option.
- Cherry Pie Filling: This brings the sweet, fruity flavor inside the taquitos. Feel free to experiment with other pie fillings like blueberry or strawberry. You can also try apple pie filling, it’s delicious!
- Melted Butter: Used for brushing on the taquitos to help them turn golden brown.
- Cinnamon Sugar: Sprinkled on top for added flavor and sweetness.
How To Make Cherry Cheesecake Taquitos
- Prepare the Filling: Start by mixing softened cream cheese in a bowl until smooth. Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract to the cream cheese and stir until the mixture is well combined and creamy.
- Assemble the Taquitos: Lay out the flour tortillas on a flat surface. Spread a thin layer of the cream cheese mixture evenly over each tortilla. Then, add a line of cherry pie filling down the center of each tortilla, leaving a little space at the edges.
- Roll the Taquitos: Carefully fold one side of the tortilla over the cherry filling. Continue rolling the tortilla tightly until it is fully wrapped around the filling. Repeat this process for all the tortillas.
- Prepare for Cooking: Place the rolled taquitos in a baking dish or on a tray if using an air fryer. Melt some butter and brush it over the tops of the taquitos. Then, sprinkle cinnamon sugar evenly over them.
- Cook the Taquitos: If using an oven, bake the taquitos until they are golden brown and crispy. For air frying, place the taquitos in the air fryer basket and cook until they achieve the same golden brown and crispy texture.
- Serve: Enjoy the taquitos warm, as they are best served fresh out of the oven or air fryer. Optionally, you can dust them with a bit more powdered sugar for extra sweetness.
- Cream Cheese Consistency: Ensure the cream cheese is at room temperature before mixing. This makes it easier to blend and results in a smoother filling.
- Even Filling Distribution: When spreading the cream cheese mixture and adding the cherry pie filling, aim for an even distribution to ensure each bite has a balanced flavor. Avoid overfilling to prevent the filling from spilling out during rolling.
- Tight Rolling: Roll the taquitos tightly to keep the filling inside and to ensure they hold their shape while cooking. This also helps in achieving a crispier texture.
- Prevent Sticking: If using an air fryer, lightly spray the basket with cooking spray to prevent the taquitos from sticking. For oven baking, lining the baking dish with parchment paper can also help.
- Butter Application: Brushing the taquitos with melted butter before cooking not only adds flavor but also helps in getting a golden and crispy exterior. Be sure to cover the surface evenly.
- Cooking Time Adjustment: Keep an eye on the taquitos as they cook, as oven and air fryer temperatures can vary. Adjust the cooking time as needed to avoid burning.
- Serving Suggestions: These taquitos can be served with a dollop of whipped cream, a sprinkle of powdered sugar, or even a drizzle of chocolate sauce for an extra special touch.
- Storage: If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat in the oven or air fryer to bring back the crispiness before serving.
And there you have it, a simple yet delicious recipe for Cherry Cheesecake Taquitos! These treats are a fantastic mix of creamy and fruity flavors, wrapped in a crispy tortilla. I encourage you to try making them yourself. After you’ve made them, I’d really appreciate it if you could rate and review the recipe. Also, remember to pin it so you can find it easily next time.
Cherry Cheesecake Taquitos
- 1 15 oz can cherry pie filling
- 8 flour tortillas
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar plus more for dusting (optional)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar
Instructions for Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a medium bowl, mix the softened cream cheese, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Spread a thin layer of the cream cheese mixture on each tortilla.
- Place a line of cherry pie filling down the center of each tortilla, leaving about 1/2 to 1 inch of space from the edges.
- Fold one side of the tortilla over the filling, then roll it up completely. Place the rolled taquitos in a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Brush the tops of the taquitos with melted butter, then sprinkle them with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 6-8 minutes or until they turn golden brown and crispy.
- Optionally, dust with additional powdered sugar before serving.
Instructions for Air Fryer:
- Follow steps 2 through 5 as above.
- Lightly spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray. Place the taquitos in the basket.
- Cook in the air fryer at 350°F (180°C) for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Optionally, dust with additional powdered sugar before serving.
- Use room temperature cream cheese for smoother blending.
- Avoid overfilling tortillas to prevent spillage during rolling.
- Roll taquitos tightly to ensure they hold shape while cooking.
- Adjust cooking time as needed, as oven and air fryer temperatures may vary.
- Serve warm for best flavor and texture.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container and reheat in the oven or air fryer.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.